- Showcased at SXSW 2017
- Showcased at The Great Escape 2016
- Showcased at CMW 2015 & 2017
- Support for Wolf Parade at CMW Sirius XM House 4/21/2017
- Support for Hockey Dad, 4 dates in Western Canada Oct 2017.
- 'Slow Wave' reached #43 on NACC top 200
- 'Slow Wave' reached #14 on Canadian national earshot charts
- Debut EP "A Hot Second with the Velveteins" hit #110 on CMJ's top 200 college radio chart
- EP hit #33 on the Canadian national earshot charts
- Single 'Don't Yah Feel Better?' premiered on GOLD FLAKE PAINT (read here)
- Video 'Don't Yah Feel Better?' premiered on NOISEY (read here)
- Single 'Midnight Surf' premiered on CLASH (read here)
- Premiere of 'Strange Side of the Street' on What Youth (read here)
- Review of Slow Wave on Exclaim! (read here)
- Review of A Hot Second (read here)
MGMT: Spencer Morphy - email@example.com
Label & Publisher: free agent
Publicity (Blogs): Auteur Research - firstname.lastname@example.org
Booking Agent (CANADA): Amanda Schweers - email@example.com
Booking Agent (EUROPE): Marco Noni - firstname.lastname@example.org
UK/European Rep: Tom Poole - email@example.com
Latest Release: Slow Wave LP
Release Date: May 12, 2017
Label: fierce panda canada (WW ex. US) Handwritten Records (US) Fierce Panda Records (UK/EU)
Distributor: Fontana North/Believe Digital (CAD), Sony RED (US), The Orchard (UK/EU)
Produced By: Colin Stewart
Soaked in the bright psychedelia of the 1960’s and dipped in the indie rock explosion of the new millennium, The Velveteins are best described as a bridge between the two. Inspired after living out of a camper van on the beaches of Australia for a year frontman Spencer Morphy returned to Canada and started the band with co-songwriter Addison Hiller in 2014. The duo wrote five songs in two weeks and scraped together enough cash to fly to Nashville and record their first EP with producer Lincoln Parish of Cage The Elephant. Afterwards they wasted no time cramming into a Pontiac Montana with new found bassist Dean Kheroufi and touring across the country. This was the beginning of their vigorous touring schedule which led to international appearances (SXSW, and the Great Escape) and opening slots for established acts including Wolf Parade, Elephant Stone, and July Talk. All this caught the attention of indie label Fierce Panda in April of 2016 the band's first EP ‘A Hot Second with the Velveteins’ was released. The EP displayed the bands love for 60’s pop classics like The Beatles and the Kinks with a vintage meets garage rock fidelity.
Taking a break from the road in 2016 the band retreated to Vancouver Island to write and record their first full length release with producer Colin Stewart (Black Mountain/Sleepy Sun), ‘Slow Wave’ which was released in May of 2017 and showcased a lusher and modern approach to the bands pop sensible rock and roll.
"‘Don’t Yah Feel Better’ lights the torch with a succinct pot of gleaming production and honest simplicity. Assured, demonstrative and undisguised, The Velveteins crack out the surf-pop hooks"
"If their first single is any indication, we can expect an album filled with earworm-worthy melodies and psychedelic grooves that stick to your bones."
- CBC Music
"... a collision of the Kinks and the Libertines, rollicking garage, moody surf [...and] pop classicism with a rough edge."
"The Velveteins are taking all their inspiration from the past but adding the original touch to it. Any band can replicate the sounds and styles of the 60's and 70's but few can take it and make it better."
- 3rd Outing
"The Velveteins have been on a tear recently; dropping only the hits, making awesome videos, and even getting covered by the top dogs,"
- Buried Muse